Tuesday 8 January 2013

Day 1

What a long day!  Started with check-in group, to discuss how things went over the weekend.  Immediately felt like I was out of place, and didn't belong there.  I recognized E.D. thoughts kicking in as I scanned the room and the other girls there.  "You're the fattest one here"...."You don't belong here, you're not sick like those girls"....."Did I really make the right decision to be here?"  After voicing my concern that I don't belong, one of the girls said that doctors, counsellors and caseworkers had agreed to admit me, so I should be there, and will benefit from the therapy sessions, if nothing else.  After a quick weigh-in, it seemed like all we did was eat and talk.  The meals were not excessively large, but my stomach was so full and bloated from eating every two and a half hours.  The food was okay, but I'm not sure how long it will take to get used to eating so often.  At lunch time, I caught myself scanning the room again, comparing how much food I had and how much the other girls were eating.  Noting that these were just more E.D. thoughts, I focused on trying to eat in the alloted time so as to avoid having to drink an Ensure shake if I didn't finish. 

Overall, I think the day went well; I am anticipating struggles with the nutrion guidelines, as they are strict and food choices are limited.  I am also considering surrendering my exercise while I am attending the program, but this makes me quite worried.  I have gone for a week without exercise without gaining too much weight, but I am concerned that stopping exercise in addition to the structured eating might be disastrous.  With the long days in program, I am not sure that I want to get up so early to work out, or go for a run at the end of the day.  I guess for now I will just be gentle with myself, and try not to force myself to do it if I don't have the energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment